I’ve got a super quick before and after for you today which has made my life SO MUCH EASIER! This was one of those areas that got messy over time but I just put up with and got used to. Now that it’s organised I can’t believe I lived with it messy for so long! Here’s the before shot of my paint supply storage:
I keep my vast paint supplies (and other things) in this area of the shed and although it started off clean and organised, over the years it’s kind of gone to shit. For a start, I’ve got way too much of everything. It’s a vicious cycle: I have so many paint brushes stacked on top of each other that I can no longer find the size brush I need so I end up buying more. And so the problem continues.
I have such huge amounts of crap on the floor of my shed at the moment that I couldn’t even get to my paint supplies properly … so I stopped trying to put them away. This resulted in towers of paint cans throughout the shed (you can see my workbench post here if you missed it). It’s all just a hot mess and as it’s in the shed rather than the house, it’s super easy to be lazy and shut the door on it.
To organise this area I started by emptying everything out. I swept the empty shelves and walls and killed any redbacks I found along the way. I purged, I rehomed, I reorganised. And voila:
First off – I can see the floor! WHAT?!! I know, it’s amazing. The half a dozen buckets that were littering the floor can now fit in a neat stack at the top of the shelves (there’s smaller buckets inside the big orange ones). Also, there’s spare room on the shelves! I got rid of all the old paint which had set solid and now I have room for more paint tins on the bottom shelf (deep breathing into a paper bag as I fight the urge to run to Bunnings). The massive Highly Inflammable Deck Cargo box is empty (I’m a wild-eyed-crazy-lady as I search the shed for something to fill that box with).
My mitre box has only one saw in it now (gasp!).
Paintbrushes, cutters, chisels and caulking guns are all sorted neatly into boxes and buckets.
I’ve already needed paint from my stash once this week. Finding my supplies and putting them away again was a breeze!
I’ve cleared almost a third of my shed so far (admittedly I’m leaving the most difficult parts till last). But I’m still super proud to have decrapified my paint supplies and my workbench as they’re the two areas I use the most. I wonder if I can make “decrapify” a worldwide phenomenon like “KonMari” …