I’ve been off lately. Not unwell, just not my usual, fabulous self. I’ve been unmotivated, uninspired and overwhelmed. This winter has made me feel miserable and old. Luckily, we’ve had a solid week of sunshine and suddenly I’m alive!! I want to clean everything, fix everything, paint everything … I’m a force to be reckoned with!
Cleaning my shed has been one of my goals this year but I’ve been putting it off because its such a formidable job. The thought of cleaning and organising SO MUCH STUFF is completely overwhelming. Then I re-read Donna’s workshop makeover post and got all inspired. When the sun came out this week it was like the stars aligned and I just got stuck into it.
I was originally planning on emptying the shed first but I think that’s one of the reasons I was overwhelmed. Instead, I’ve decided to tackle little zones separately so it’s more manageable.
The first zone I started with is my workbench. To have this cleared and usable is going to be a complete game-changer. Feast your eyes on this hot mess:
There’s so much going on it this picture I don’t even know where to start.
First of all, I’ve used the bench for a variety of projects this winter and clearly I haven’t put anything away afterwards. I just let it all pile up. There’s a spare door leaning against the wall and at some point I decided it was a good idea to hang my safety gear from it but the whole thing’s a giant eyesore. I think my favourite part is the dish rack.
Here we have an old dish rack, hung unevenly by two bits of wire. Ironically, the lopsided dish rack is where I store my levels. We’ve also got a broken power board and a wet rag. I mean really, WTF.
The first thing I did was to hang all my levels and squares in their own little nook next to the doorway.
By attaching strips of decking timber to the shed walls I was able to hang some of my most frequently used tools right above my workbench.
I picked up a couple of old wooden drawers from the verge a while back so I hung them as shelves. One holds my favourite sanding gear and the other is yet to be filled. I ripped a beveled edge into the lower decking strip to turn it into a french cleat (and I’m totally high-fiving myself for my mad skills 😂). The drawers are simply hung on the cleat and can easily be removed or slid anywhere along the timber.
The antique propeller and scales belonged to my dad and I’m loving the rustic vibe they give this area. (Am I too old to use the word vibe?)
I love that my favourite clamps are easy to reach now. The dustpan and brush are right there too so I have no excuse but to clean my workspace after use!
Above the other side of my bench I hung two baskets (I found these on the verge too – hooray for free stuff!). I’m thrilled that my extension cords and safety gear are neat and tidy now instead of strewn throughout the shed. I’ve also got a jarrah cutting board (made by me!) and an antique cowbell. You just never know when you’ll need a cowbell.
My workbench area is officially decrapified! To be honest, I’ll probably still play around with this wall as I’m sorting through the shed and rehoming everything. Plus I added a shelf underneath the bench that I haven’t started filling yet. I’ll be sure to give you an updated look at my workbench area once it’s complete. Now I’ve only got about six more zones to clear and I’ll have a usable shed again – woohoo!